Supported Tracing and Monitoring Systems
Phobos 2.0 is built on top of OpenTelemetry and supports all of
OpenTelemetry.Exporter.* packages on NuGet, most of which are developed directly by APM providers such as Prometheus, Jaeger, DataDog, AWS, GCP, Azure, Elastic, and so on.
You can see the OpenTelemetry Registry for even more supported .NET exporters.
Phobos 1.0 is legacy and should not be used for new applications. You will be a lot happier going down the OpenTelemetry and Phobos 2.0 route.
Phobos itself is built on top of two popular open source .NET standards:
- OpenTracing - a popular standard for faciliating distributed tracing across applications written in any language;
- App.Metrics - a popular .NET OSS library that supports many different metrics reporting services, such as Microsoft's Application Insights, DataDog, Prometheus, and more!
Phobos doesn't care which metrics or tracing backends you use - it'll support any that target the OpenTracing or App.Metrics standards.
- Zipkin - there are numerous OpenTracing-compatible libraries available for Zipkin in .NET. Petabridge maintains one that you can use in your applications: Petabridge.Tracing.Zipkin.
- Jaeger - Jaeger's 1st party library supports OpenTracing: jaeger-client-csharp
- DataDog - see DataDog library and setup instructions.
- Microsoft Application Insights - Azure's native APM solution also supports OpenTracing, courtesy of Petabridge's Petabridge.Tracing.ApplicationInsights library.
- LightStep - they offer OpenTracing support through LightStep's 1st party .NET library.
Supported Metric Reporters
All of Phobos' supported metric reporters are provided by App.Metrics directly, but here's a quick list of them as of App.Metrics 4.0:
- Application Insights
- Influx Data
Please see the App.Metrics documentation for guidance on how to configure these.